Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic and related restrictions, VDOT is updating the Materials Certification guidelines to the following:
- If you have never held a certification, you will be allowed to work under the direct supervision of a certified individual until 3/31/2021. The uncertified individual is “required” to complete the pertinent self-study or online course for a knowledge base before starting work.
- For those who held certifications as of 12/31/2019, whose certification expires in 2020, certifications are extended until 3/31/2021.
- Those who hold certifications that will expire on 12/31/2020 will have their certifications extended until 3/31/2021.
To maintain a certification beyond 3/31/2021, individuals will need to complete all requirements for certification before then. We strongly encourage participation in all available online courses to avoid further delays.
- Currently, all certification courses are available as either self-study or online options at the respective community colleges.
- Written and proficiency exams are available as in-person or remotely proctored exams at both the Community College Workforce Alliance (CCWA), Germanna Community College, Reynolds Community College (Parham Road campus), John Tyler Community College (Chester and Midlothian campus), Danville Community College, Germanna Community College, Tidewater Community College, and Southside Virginia Community College.
PLEASE NOTE: Current holders of the ACI Concrete Field-Testing Technician certification or the WACEL Concrete Level I Technician certification, who have recently expired or will expire by year’s end, may continue working on VDOT projects through 3/31/2021. After 3/31/2021, a valid certification will be required.
These guidelines will remain in effect until March 31, 2021, or until new guidance is issued.
As always, guidance will be updated as conditions shift. For more information, go to the Materials Certification School’s web page on the VDOT website.